Thursday 8 December 2011

Apocalypse Now

This Vietnam War film starring Martin Sheen has been known as “the” war film. The film goes back and forth on it's pro war/ anti-war stance, making it a slightly confusing film to watch. Although I can see how this would be considered such a fantastic film, I found myself somewhat let down. Captain Benjamin L. Willard (Sheen) was sent on a mission to kill Colonel Walter E. Kurtz, a soldier who was assumed to have gone somewhat crazy on his tour in Vietnam. Throughout the film the audience watches as Willard learns more about Kurtz and reveals his relation to the character.
I found that Willard was not a character I particularly enjoyed watching, he was cruel and not relatable. In one scene the men aboard the boat, Willard is traveling on kill a family on a boat leaving just one women alive. Instead of taking her to a hospital Willard shoots and kills her for the sake of his mission. This action made me truly hate Willard. As a soldier, without the war Willard was lost not knowing what he should do with his life.  

There were a variety of different of characters in this film who contributed to the plot of the film. Aboard the boat Willard was travelling on there were four other men: Lance B. Johnson, Jay ‘Chef” Hicks, Tyrone ‘Clean’ Miller and Chief Phillips. Lance was the crowd favourite, bringing an uncanny humour to the film. Lance is constantly doing the wrong thing and is high on some type of drug, making him unusually laid back and happy during his tour.

Special effects play an essential role in the effectiveness of this film. There is constantly explosions, shootings and aircraft in flight. The special effects not only make this film much more visually appealing to watch but it makes for the movie a feel much more realistic; I felt as if I was there. I found the scene in which Lance and Willard approach a group of men defending a bridge a very effective scene involving special effects. Lance, being high on acid, madkes a comment about the explosions being beautiful, but of course the audience knows it is anything but. I found this to be very effective because it is illustrates an important issue relating to the Vietnam War, the effects of drug use by the soldiers.
While this movie was a great portrayal of the Vietnam War, I could not sympathize with or relates to the characters. The only scenes I liked werethe ones involving Lance and his humour. I give the movie a 5.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment